FTC Spyware Workshop - April 19th, 2004
Panel One: Defining, Understanding and Disseminating Spyware
- Ed Black, President & Chief Executive Officer
Computer & Communications Industry Association
- Mark Bohannon, General Counsel & Senior Vice President Public Policy
Software & Information Industry Association
- Marty Lafferty, Chief Executive Officer
Distributed Computing Industry Association
- Avi Naider, President & Chief Executive Officer
- Ari Schwartz, Associate Director
Center for Democracy and Technology
Ari was the only one to mention "affiliates" but I don't think anyone else understood the
responsibility of companies to monitor how affiliates are distributing or deploying their products.
Mark Bohannon actually came out against any requirements for an UnInstall program. His reasoning
behind this position was programs like NetNanny that safe guard kids on the internet.
Apparently we need to change the wording of S.2145 Sec. 3(c2) so it now says "capable of being removed
completely by the same user who installed said program using normal procedures..."
Copyright © 2004
All Rights Reserved.